Associate Educator – Minneapolis Adult Education
Location: Minneapolis, MN, US
Job Title: Associate Educator – Classroom Support – ADULT BASIC ED – 2023-2024 School Year and Requisition ID number: 99907
Close Date: No established closing date; open until filled
Organizational Unit: Adult Basic Education (10000002)
Site: Center for Adult Learning (0007)
FTE: 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week); this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
*MPS Adult Ed – Learner Support Services Staff Member*
SUMMARY: With minimal supervision, collaborates with MPS Adult Education staff to support Adult Ed programming, student achievement goals and assisting teachers. Other duties as assigned.
GOAL: To support the smooth functioning of the program and provide support to adult learners accessing classes in MPS Adult Education programming. Acts as a liaison between the students, community, and the school.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this position class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists students with accessing educational programs; performs duties within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Administers a variety of student services, community services, and special assignments in support of MPS Adult Ed goals; including MPS Adult Ed program outreach & marketing, bi-lingual & hearing-impaired translating/interpreting, student testing, media & technology support, community relations, volunteer support, attendance, and special events.
- Promotes respect, supports diversity, explains social norms and disciplinary consequences, de-escalates personal confrontations, enforces District policies, and Adult Ed procedures and rules of conduct.
- Records data for academic assessments; maintains files, and keeps records of student progress and activities.
- Reports learning problems, behavioral issues, and other concerns to supervisor
- Communicates with students and staff to convey pertinent information while maintaining confidentiality of personal information.
- Provides general office and administrative support.
- Provides customer service to adult students, answers questions, and explains school rules.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
- Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- AA degree or completion of 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits (required) in Education, Child Development, Behavioral Sciences or educational area related to position assignment
- A passing score of 460 (or higher) on the ParaPro Assessment AND a high school diploma/GED certificate
(For more information on the ParaPro Assessment, contact Educational Testing Service at 1-800-772-9476 or www.ets.org/parapro); AND two (2) years of professional experience working with children; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
Bilingual fluency strongly preferred