Virtual Poster Sessions – Summer Institute 2020!
Has the memory of a tragic glue stick “incident” in first grade kept you from doing a Summer Institute Poster Session in the past? Well, this is your year! Poster sessions (along with the rest of the conference) have gone virtual. No glue sticks or construction paper required!
What is a virtual poster session?
A 3-10 minute video highlighting a program, a classroom best practice or anything else you would like to share with your ABE colleagues. Good poster sessions often follow the format of:
A) This was my challenge.
B) This is how solved (or attempted to solve) that challenge.
C) Here is how you can replicate it in your program.
How do I make one?
- Create a short slideshow.
- Record it using your favorite screen capturing tool. (Or, you can create a video in any other format you prefer.)
- Upload it to Flipgrid.
- Share any handouts you have that will be available to conference participants.
Why should I do one?
So many great reasons!
- The pride of being a virtual poster session pioneer
- The opportunity to help the ABE field grow by sharing what you’ve been doing
- The chance to develop your virtual poster making skills
- 3 CEUs
- And the chance to win one of two $25 Amazon gift cards
Are there examples?
Sure, here’s one about how to create a video with Screen-cast-o-matic.
Looking for Inspiration?
- Here are some poster session topics that have already been submitted:
- Adult Literacy Hotline
- Journeys: An Anthology of Adult Student Writing
- Advancing Adult Education Teacher Expertise
- Bookmark Moving Made Easy
- Remote Proctoring of Northstar Assessments
- Goal Setting with Adult Learners
- Three Zoom Features to Enhance Your Lessons
- Creating Alternative Contact Info for Teaching and Tutoring
- Creating Videos Using Screencast-O-Matic
Is there a deadline?
Deadline for submitting a proposal is August 6.
Deadline for uploading your video is August 12.
How do I submit a proposal?
Complete the Poster Session Application Form. We will then contact you and help you create and upload your video.
For more information, contact Rob Podlasek at RPodlasek@LiteracyMN.org