Literacy Action Network is a statewide professional membership organization supporting Minnesota Adult Basic Education. An elected Executive Board coordinates and oversees committee activities that strengthen Minnesota ABE. LAN provides a variety of professional development and support services benefitting Minnesota ABE, through a Supplemental Services grant from the Minnesota Department of Education.
Literacy Action Network works to develop, improve, and expand adult literacy services by coordinating public policy and legislative advocacy, fostering statewide collaboration, and supporting quality ABE services.
- All Minnesotans are equipped with the level of education necessary to participate in civic, community, and economic life.
- ABE services from pre-literacy through transition to post-secondary and employment are fully funded.
- All eligible adults will have ready access to seamless services.
Statement Against Bigotry and Violence
The Literacy Action Network stands by our students, colleagues, friends and volunteers who are facing oppression and/or discrimination. As an organization we denounce such behavior as at odds with our standing concern for health, safety and happiness of our diverse society. Adult basic education has a long history of fighting for social justice, and we continue our commitment to democratic and egalitarian values.
- To advocate for adult literacy programs with state and federal government law and policy makers.
- To improve professionalism of the ABE field through high quality professional development opportunities.
- To be a proactive organization whose presence is instrumental at statewide meetings and discussions concerning ABE.