Literacy Minnesota is seeking an individual for an Communications Coordinator position. This benefits-eligible position is 40 hours per week or 1.0 FTE.Organizational Background: Literacy Minnesota is a nonprofit organization dedicated to sharing the power of learning through education, community building and advocacy. Our team provides direct services and strengthens literacy programs in Minnesota and beyond by providing training, national service resources and technical assistance to other organizations. Position Overview: The Communications Coordinator is responsible for communications support that will generate visibility and additional resources for Literacy Minnesota’s mission. This position reports to the Marketing and Communications Manager. Work environment consists of a typical office environment, or a hybrid environment if desired with 60% of work time in office and 40% remote. Time spent on the computer is approximately 75%. This position requires the ability to be multi-site and travel occasionally within the Twin Cities metro area. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific responsibilities of the Communications Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
Agency Communications – 70%
- Assist in the creation and/or editing of materials such as newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, case for support, annual reports, promotional items, etc.
- Assist with creation and maintenance of agency’s communications plan for internal and external communications, social media and DEI initiatives.
- Coordinate printing and mailing projects such as Annual Report and fundraising appeals. Assist Marketing and Communications Manager with special projects related to Literacy Minnesota’s Educator Resources.
- Coordinate email campaigns using MailChimp.
Special Events and Development Communications – 20%
- Help coordinate print and electronic communications with and about donors and funders, including original writing, interviewing, editing and/or production.
- Assist with special events.
- Create promotional materials for development events.
- Participate in stakeholder cultivation and stewardship initiatives.
- Participate as needed on other development projects such as proposal writing and sponsorship activities.
Other Responsibilities – 10%
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Support and provide back-up to team members as needed and applicable.
- Support organizational DEI goals by fostering an inclusive environment, and actively participating in and achieving organizational and personal DEI goals.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus three years of communications, marketing, development or related experience, ideally in a nonprofit, social work, teaching and/or academic administration setting. Equivalent combination of education and experience accepted in place of degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with web content management and social media.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, proofreading skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strongly preferred: Knowledge of graphic design (Canva) and Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign, but Photoshop and Illustrator are a plus).
- Technologically proficient, including strong Microsoft Excel skills, knowledge of mail merges and experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and other Microsoft Office products.
- Minimum one year experience with Salesforce or another contact management system, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Design, photo and video creation knowledge.
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Data Studio.
- Interest in and commitment to literacy and/or social causes.
- Demonstrated DEI-focused work style, including engagement in organizational and personal DEI goals.
Compensation: Starting pay rate between $42,362 – $51,776/year (commensurate with experience) and a generous benefits package.
To apply: Please email cover letter and resume with Communications Coordinator in the subject line to email@example.com. This position is open until filled, with priority given to applications received by Friday, February 24, 2023. Literacy Minnesota fosters an organizational culture that is welcoming and inclusive to all. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, indigenous peoples, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQ+ individuals and people with disabilities.
For more information: visit Literacy Minnesota.