The Professional Engagement Committee (then called Professional Issues Committee) conducted focus groups throughout Minnesota in 2007 and 2008. Focus group participants indicated a need for research in adult education topics since there are limited research findings available.
Committee members encourage college students to choose one of the following topics for undergraduate or graduate research:
- Serving English Language Learners
- Managing a Multi-Level/Multi-Subject Classroom
- Effectively Serving American Born Learners
- Job Attaining and Job Retaining Skills
- Preparing Learners for Post-Secondary Education
- Impact of Student Achievement in Reading (STAR) Program
- Tracking College Placement of ABE Learners
- Comparing Student Outcomes of FastTRAC Programs and Traditional Post-Secondary Programs
- Speaking and Listening Skills for Non-native English Learners in the Workplace
Final reports or results will be shared with Literacy Action Network’s Professional Issues Committee to increase our knowledge and help improve the ABE field.